Monday, August 31, 2009

Update - A Busy Week

Chief Medic’s Log

This has been a very busy week on the Liberty. I thought when I transferred from Voyager to the Liberty things would be a little bit more exciting, but I did not realize exactly how exciting it would be. I’m not complaining. It is good to be needed. It’s just…. different.

Since the Liberty is following along with Voyager, I can at least visit with friends. Ensigns Braddock and Arda visited me on the Liberty earlier in the week. I got to show them around my office and also to chat with them for a while. I hope that I will be able to visit them on Voyager soon.

I was also very surprised this week to discover a stowaway on the Liberty. I nearly shot him with a phaser in the infirmary whenever I discovered him in a ventilation duct. Come to find out he had been a stowaway sent their last landing and had been surviving by stealing food and other items. His name is Thrail Shra (follow him at – www.twitter.com/thrailshra ) and he and I have had the chance to talk. It seems that we have something in common – we have both lost spouses.

It is somehow comforting to talk to someone who understands the pain and loss of losing a spouse. While other people can be very sympathetic, to be able to share memories and feelings with someone who understands exactly how you feel provides a special kind of comfort. I hope that I was as comforting to him as he has been to me.

I have also found out that Tom is missing. He volunteered to go on a mission – insisted on going – by himself. We have not heard from him since he left. Right now I am not sure he is dead or alive. I keep telling myself that he is too stubborn to die, that he is going to walk in my door with a cocky smile and tell me all about how exciting his mission was. I keep telling myself that he is thinking of me where he is, and that he is doing his best to come back to me.

But I also have to face reality. He may never come back. I just keep taking every day, one day at a time, trying not to dwell on what is happening to him. Or what has already happened.

There was also an explosion on board this week. I’m not sure exactly what happened, but Morgan – our engineer – must have left something running. There was an explosion and I was hurt. I received some burns, nothing life-threatening as long as they were treated quickly. I made my way to the infirmary and Jared helped me to treat my burns.

I believe that both of our shuttles have been damaged and are not able to fly. I also believe that Morgan is working to repair them as quickly as she possibly can. Until the shuttles have been repaired, we are shipbound.

Morgan and Rain – our First Officer/Science Officer – got into quite a tiff about the accident, but I think they are okay now. They seemed like they were getting along fine last night.

Which brings me to last night.

When I came from Voyager, I brought along my database of 20th century music. I was listening to music in my quarters and dancing, trying to keep my mind off of everything that is going on with Tom.

Jared heard music and followed it to my room. He started singing to me and also we begin to dance. I have not laughed like that in a long time. Don’t get me wrong – he is an excellent singer and dancer. He was simply trying to do things in a way so that I would laugh.

Morgan and Rain also followed the music to my room and they joined us. We took turns selecting songs. It was a lot of fun.

The final song we did was dancing to the Time Warp. It was so much fun we did it twice. By the end of the night, everyone was laughing and having a good time.

Then it came time for everyone to say goodnight. Rain and Morgan left, leaving Jared and myself in my quarters. Jared tried to give me a kiss goodnight, but I couldn’t let him. I keep telling myself that Tom is going to come home. I can’t betray Tom like that. Jared said he understood. We ended the night on a good note.

With us not knowing where Tom is right now, I need to make arrangements and plan ahead with the assumption that he may not come back. Since Tom was supposed to be our backup medic, I now have to have a backup plan in case I am the one that is injured. Receiving those burns in that accident really made it hit home. Jared helped as much as he was able to, but if I had not been awake and able to talk him through everything he would not have been able to help me.
Today I will be working on labeling everything in my medical kit in plain English – analgesics will be labeled as pain killers, etc. – along with very explicit instructions on how to use all of the medications and tools that are included in the kit.

I will be including instructions for human, Orion and Andorian first aid. I also plan on meeting with every member of the crew for a quick orientation so that they will be comfortable using everything in the kit in case of an emergency.

I am sure that we will be planning another mission soon, so I want to make sure that I have all of this completed by the time we leave for our next mission.

~Shara, Chief Medic – Liberty

No comments:

Post a Comment